"Even small amounts of lead can harm a child’s health. Ask your child’s doctor about a blood lead test". (2022 Campaign Message)
The Ventura County Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP) provides services to the community for the purpose of increasing awareness regarding the hazards of lead exposure, reducing lead exposure, and increasing the number of children assessed and appropriately blood tested for lead poisoning. Our mission is to prevent and reduce the harmful effects of lead poisoning among Ventura County's children under the age of six, as well as other high-risk children.
- Information and resources for lead poisoning prevention
- Community health worker outreach and education available in English/ Spanish
- Public health nurse case management services
- Environmental Health Specialist services for community outreach and home inspection to children with elevated blood lead levels
- Community referrals and resources for lead screening
- Community outreach at public events and health fairs
For more information about our services, click here!
Magellan LeadCare Recall, click here!
Baby Food Safety, click here!
Resources for Staying Lead-Safe During COVID-19, click here!
Blood Lead Testing
- Blood lead testing can be done as part of the Well Child Physical or can be requested by your Primary Care Doctor; please schedule an appointment with your clinic. Free testing is available to all children who are eligible for Medi-Cal Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Gateway. Click on Ventura County CHDP Providers for our list of providers and schedule an appointment.
- Click here to check out our educational handouts, posters, and additional online resources for you and your family.
Health Care Provider Resources
- Click here to check out the latest guidelines, educational materials, posters, and additional online resources for your practice.
- Referrals to Healthy Homes Ventura County for free lead paint abatement program for those that qualify. Please visit http://vchca.org/hhvc for more information.
Product Recalls and Consumer Warnings
Recalls and Alerts
- Recall: LeadCare® users must discontinue use of all affected test kit lots identified as part of the recall. - July 7. 2021
- Recall: Anker Play Products Recalls 10-in-1 Incredible Inventions Science Kit Due to Violation of the Federal Lead Paint Ban - February 17, 2021
- Recall: Porter World Trade Recalls Rons Jon Surf Shop Sippy Cup Due to Violations of Federal Lead Content and Phthalates Bans - October 28, 2020
- Recall: Communicorp Recalls Plush Aflac Doctor Duck Due to Violation of Federal Lead Content Ban - August 26, 2020
- Recall: Hasbro Recalls Super Soaker XP 20 and XP 30 Water Blasters Due to Violation of Federal Lead Content Ban - August 19, 2020
- Recall: Boys Scouts of America Recalls Cub Scout Activity Pins Due to Violation of Federal Lead Content Ban - July 1, 2020
Visit the California Department of Public Health Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch for additional information on lead exposure and lead poisoning.