Tips to Stay Safe in the Water
Know your pools. If you go to public swimming pools, be sure they meet safety inspection standards. Check to see if a local swimming pool is on Environmental Health's swimming pool closure list. Also follow these ten swimming safety tips:
- Supervise, Supervise, Supervise! - Tragedy can strike in seconds!
- Buddy up - Never swim alone.
- Teach your kids to swim.
- Learn CPR.
- Feet first - Never dive into shallow or unknown water.
Keep rescue equipment nearby. Inflatable toys are not life preservers.
Avoid alcohol and swimming.
- Know what drowning looks like - drowning people usually cannot call for help.
- Follow the rules - adhere to all rules and warning flags.
- Know your limits - don't try to swim further than you can or hold your breath.