Emergency Medical Services
Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Program
You can make a difference! Did you know that?
The County's Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) Program has two components: Automatic External Defibrillator Program in County Facilities
- More than 700 lives are lost every day to sudden cardiac arrest in the United States alone.
- Two out of every three sudden cardiac deaths occur before a victim can reach a hospital.
- More than 95 percent of these cardiac arrest victims will die, many because of a lack of readily available life saving medical equipment.
- Once a victim has suffered a cardiac arrest, every minute that passes before returning the heart to a normal rhythm decreases the chance of survival by 10 percent.
- Communities that have implemented programs ensuring widespread public access to defibrillators, combined with appropriate training, maintenance, and coordination with local emergency medical systems, have dramatically improved the survival rates from cardiac arrest.
- (Findings made by Congress in the Cardiac Arrest Survival Act of (November) 2000)
and Encouraging Lay Rescuer AED Providers
What can you do?
If you are a County of Ventura employee, participate in the AED Program in County Facilities
If you are not a County of Ventura employee, encourage your employer to develop a Lay Rescuer AED Provider Program.