Falls are Preventable
- Children are twice as likely to sustain a fall-related injury at home than at a childcare facility
- Window falls occur more frequently in urban areas
- Window falls account for about eight deaths and 3,300 injuries among children 5 and younger each year
To protect children, use the following tips:
- When young children are around, keep windows closed and locked.
- When opening a window for ventilation, use those located out of a child’s reach.
- Safeguard windows with window guards or window stops. Window guards prevent children from falling out of open windows. Window stops prevent windows from opening more than a few inches.
- Avoid placing furniture near windows to prevent young children from climbing and gaining access to an open window.
- Don’t allow children to jump on beds or other furniture to help reduce potential falls.
- Don’t rely on insect screens to prevent a window fall. Insect screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children in the home.
- Supervise children to keep child’s play away from windows, balconies or patio doors.
- Be sure that your children are supervised when they’re playing, wherever they are.
Help us make Ventura County safe, injury and violence-free: at work, at home, at play, in your community. Visit our Illness and Injury Safety page for more information. Check back for events.
We provide information and education to the general population on preventing accidental injuries in children primarily under 14 years of age. Health Education can be provided on topics such as home safety, drowning prevention, poison prevention, child passenger safety and others. As a part of the Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health division, we also work with cases of Shaken Baby Syndrome and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and participate in Fetal Infant Mortality Review.
We are the lead agency for the SafeKids Ventura County Coalition. Safe Kids Ventura County is a diverse group of community partners with a common goal of working together to improve childhood safety in our County. We serve as a local resource for childhood injury prevention programs, initiatives, and materials.
- Drowning Prevention
- Find out about car seats for kids from our Child Passenger Safety Program
- Visit the Safe Kids USA Youtube Video Channel
- Learn about Safety Basics at the Safe Kids USA web site
- You can also become a Safe Kids USA Facebook fan
Monique Ciccone-Llanos, MPH, Health Educator & Coalition Coordinator
2220 E. Gonzales Road, Suite 102
Oxnard, CA 93036
Claudia Benton, PhD, MSN, RN-BC, PHN, Program Manager.
2220 E. Gonzales Rd., Suite 102 Oxnard CA 93036
Oxnard, CA, 93036