We're happy that you've decided to open your heart and home to an animal.
Check the link below to find animals available for adoption.
Search Our Animals
Because each animal has a state-mandated holding period, not all shelter animals become available for adoption at the same time. Animals surrendered by their owners become available sooner than strays and some animals that are housed temporarily, never become available for adoption.Cage placards indicate availability status.
In most circumstances, spayed/neutered animals can go home immediately and unaltered animals can go home after having been spayed/neutered.A projected adoption date will be listed on the placard.
If you are interested in an animal that is not yet available, let the counter staff know you plan to return to adopt the animal. You can't "reserve" a specific animal but, if we know you're interested, we may be able to hold it awhile longer.
If more than one person, over 18 years old, shows interest in a specific animal when the public counter opens for business, a lottery style drawing will be held for those in attendance. The person chosen in the lottery must be the same person to sign the adoption papers.
To make the best possible pet & person match, adopters must:
- Be 18 years old or older
- Show a valid photo ID
- Be willing to make the animal part of the family (no "yard" or "guard" dogs)
- Take cats home in an approved cat carrier
- Depending on the breed, disposition or behavior history, submit an adoption application and agree to a home check
All adopted pets go home with:
- Certification of surgical sterilization
- Preliminary vaccination(s)
- First Rabies vaccine
- Ventura County license
- Trovan microchip (already "installed" for permanent identification!)
- Free obedience classes
- Certificate for a free health exam at any participating Ventura County veterinarian
Cost of Adoption
- In-County adoption $125
- Out-of-County adoption $105 - license charge not included